I’ve always thought that October was the best month. Crisp fall days and chilly nights, the leaves starting to turn and the boots in my closet starting to get more use, pumpkin flavored everything popping up in every store. October marked the start of my favorite season, so what could be better?? Well, this year another month has begun to steal my heart, and its name is November.
Before all you October-lovers come at me with pitchforks and torches, let me explain! November is something like the best of both worlds: you get fall leaves, a few ridiculously nice days, a few hopes of snow, boots every single day, sweater weather, the start of the holiday season AND, last but certainly not least, Thanksgiving!! I know I’m not part of majority in this, but there’s a good possibility that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. A day full of counting our blessings, hanging out with family, watching football and eating the most delicious meal of the year? What’s not to LOVE? In fact, I love Thanksgiving dinner so much that for about 5 years straight I requested it as my birthday meal… in April. Yup.
If you happen to follow me on Instagram or if we’re real live friends on Facebook, then it’s likely that you’ve already seen most of my #ThankfulNovember posts. In an effort to be more intentional in acknowledging the amazing blessings that are a part of my everyday life, and to spread my thankfulness out over more than just one ridiculously delicious meal, I took the challenge from a friend at the beginning of the month to post one thing every day that I’m thankful for. Big, small, person, place, thing… it didn’t matter so long as I took some time out of every day to recognize the things that make my life worth it. And, because I’m a visual person, I of course had to add a photo each day :)
So, here’s a little recap of what I’m thankful for so far this month!
1. Traffic (because it meant that I was on my way to see friends!)
2. Living my dream job
4. My Dad and his ginger locks
5. Boot season, of course!
6. My college roommates, aka: the Nitches
7. New journals and old books
8. My house and the wonderful women I share it with
9. Penn State Dance Marathon
10. My adorable nephew, Turner
11. Messes. This one was important to me. So often in life and on social media, all we see are the amazing, exciting, beautiful parts of other people’s lives, and we forget that those are only a fraction of the whole story. If I can’t look at my own messes (and trust me, there is plenty to look at!) and remember that other people have them, too, then I will be constantly comparing my real life to other’s fairy tales that just aren’t the whole story. So, yay messes!
12. My sister, Sarah :)
13. COFFEE. Hallelujah, amen.
14. Blankets and snuggle season
15. Penn State University
16. My hometown, little Nokesville, Virginia
So what are you thankful for? It’s not too late to join in!